Safety Guidelines

 

Laser Safety

The Ackuray DLP Printer is a Class 1 laser product that complies with the international standards IEC 60825-1:2007 and EN 60825-1:2007. Accessible radiation is within Class 1 limits. The laser diode used inside the device has the following specifications:

 

 

  • While the printer cover is closed, the output of the laser device is fully contained.
  • The printer cover includes an interlock system that detects when the cover is opened and automatically turns the laser off.
  • If the interlock system is tampered with or fails, there is risk of exposure to Class 3B laser light.
  • During printing, the laser output may be visible, so it is potentially dangerous to look directly into the machine during operation.
  • The laser may emit minor radiation within the limits of the IEC 60825-1 standard.The printer cover further reduces this radiation to insignificant levels.

 

The standard reference for laser safety is the American Standard for the Safe Use of Lasers, Z136.1-2000, developed by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). This reference is the basis for many of the federal regulations for laser and laser system manufacturers, and for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) laser safety guidelines. It contains detailed information concerning proper installation and use of laser systems.

 

While the ANSI standard itself does not have the force of law, its recommendations, including warning signage, training, and the designation of a laser safety officer, may be compulsory under local workplace regulations when operating laser systems above Class I. It is the operator’s responsibility to ensure that the installation and operation of the Ackuray DLP Printer is performed in accordance with all applicable laws. Copies of ANSI Standard Z136.1-2000 are available from:

 

Laser Institute of America

12424 Research Parkway, Suite 125

Orlando, FL 32826

(407) 380-1553

Resin Safety

Resins provided by Ackuretta are non-carcinogenic acrylic-based resin liquids that give off a light odor. These resins may cause skin, eyes and respiratory system irritation, and skin sensitivities or allergic reactions by skin contact. Inhalation of a high high-vapour concentration may cause headaches and nausea. Adverse conditions may be delivered the following ways:

Acute Exposure

Skin Contact This product may cause skin irritation. Symptoms may include a slightly localized redness or rash and swelling. Repeated exposure may cause sensitization and allergic skin reaction in some individuals resulting in contact dermatitis, severe irritation, dryness and cracking.
Eye Contact This product may cause eye irritation. Symptoms may include excessive tearing, itching, irritation, blinking and redness.
Inhalation This product is a suspect slight respiratory tract irritation hazard, especially if used at elevated temperature or processes which may generate aerosols or mists. Symptoms of irritation may include coughing, headache and nausea, mucous production and shortness of breath.
Ingestion This product may be harmful if swallowed. It may cause nausea, headache, vomiting, diarrhoea, and/or central nervous system effects. Keep all food in an area separate from storage and use locations. Prohibit eating, drinking and smoking in areas where there is a potential for significant exposure to this material. Thoroughly wash hands before eating.

Chronic Exposure

Skin Contact Prolonged contact may cause sensitivities and allergic reactions. People with pre-existing skin conditions may incur more significant irritation. Repeated exposure may cause sensitization and allergic skin reaction in some individuals resulting in contact dermatitis, severe irritation, dryness and cracking.
Eye Contact Prolonged contact may cause redness of eye tissue.
Inhalation Prolonged or repeated overexposure may cause irritation, headaches, and nausea.
Ingestion Prolonged or repeated swallowing may be a slight ingestion hazard. Chronic ingestion of high doses has shown damage to testes in studies with animals.

 

Disposal

Resins provided by Ackuretta Technologies are not readily biodegradable. Releasing these resins into the environment may be illegal according to the regulations in the usage area.

Properly dispose of resins in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.

For more information, please refer the Material Data Sheet found in the Downloads page.

 

Cleaning Alcohol Safety

To clean prints, Ackuretta recommends using solutions of 95% ethyl alcohol or 95-99% isopropyl alcohol (IPA). Both compounds are colorless, transparent, and naturally give off strong odors. Both compounds have the following major safety concerns:

  • Highly flammable and potentially explosive
  • Toxic and can cause adverse conditions from ingestion, inhalation, or direct contact
  • Evaporate quickly so they can become an airborne toxins

To avoid these potential issues, do the following:

  • Store in cool, dry, and well-ventilated areas.
  • Label containers with instructions regarding handling and storage.
  • Keep away from any sources of heat, fire, and sparks.
  • Keep away from strong oxidizers, acetaldehyde, chlorine, ethylene oxide, acids and isocyanates.
  • Close containers tightly with a strong seal immediately after use.
  • Dispose in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.

Adverse conditions may include:

Acute Exposure

Skin Contact This product may cause skin irritation. Symptoms may include skin discoloration, dryness, and cracking.
Eye Contact This product may cause eye irritation. Symptoms may include excessive tearing, itching, irritation, blinking and redness.
Inhalation This product is a suspect slight respiratory tract irritation hazard. Symptoms may include nose, throat, and lung irritation, coughing, and/or shortness of breath.
Ingestion This product may be harmful if swallowed. It may cause nausea, headache, vomiting, and/or unconsciousness. It can also affect concentration and vision.

 

Chronic Exposure

Skin Contact Prolonged contact may cause sensitivities and allergic reactions. Repeated exposure may cause sensitization and allergic skin reaction in some individuals resulting in contact dermatitis, severe irritation, dryness and cracking. Alcohol can be absorbed through the skin and may result in symptoms similar to those listed under acute ingestion.
Eye Contact Prolonged contact may cause redness of eye tissue.
Inhalation Repeated high exposure may affect the liver and the nervous system.
Ingestion Occupational exposure is unlikely to cause cancer, but direct and repeated ingestion may increase the risk of liver, esophagus, breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers. Pregnant women should not ingest alcohol, and repeated exposure may cause spontaneous abortions, birth defects, and other developmental problems. Repeated ingestion may also reduce fertility in males.